Homepage Approve Error


#1

This is the second time I’ve come across this issue, both times on the homepage. The process goes:

  1. Create a draft of the homepage
  2. View the draft, all looks good.
  3. Go to publish… timeout occurs. (even after a server reboot).
  4. Delete draft
  5. Create new draft… timeout occurs.
    Last time this happened (completely different site but both FC7/Mysql/Railo4.2) I had to delete the homepage and rebuild it completely. Not wanting to that before asking… has anyone come across this before?

Cheers Phil.

exception.log entry below:

“ERROR”,“http-bio-8888-exec-256”,“04/29/2015”,“11:20:06”,“somewebsite”,"java.lang.NullPointerException. The specific sequence of files included or processed is /srv/www/htdocs/farcry/core/packages/lib/db.cfc, line: 518
/srv/www/htdocs/farcry/core/packages/lib/db.cfc:518.0/srv/www/htdocs/farcry/core/packages/fourq/fourq.cfc:756.0/srv/www/htdocs/farcry/core/packages/rules/container.cfc:53.0/srv/www/htdocs/farcry/core/packages/rules/container.cfc:231.0/srv/www/htdocs/farcry/core/packages/farcry/versioning.cfc:65.0/srv/www/htdocs/farcry/core/tags/navajo/objectStatus.cfm:308.0/srv/www/htdocs/farcry/core/webtop/navajo/approve.cfm:7.0


#2

Which version of Core are you running?

I’ve seen this happen in some older versions of 6.3.x and 7.0.x (probably before 7.0.2) where the publishing process runs a “diff” which makes it’s way into the history of the object, but the diffing library (it’s in a .jar file) had a bug which caused it to be very slow…

It’s worth also checking your coapi.log file to see if there is an error during the write to the database.

Another thing to check could be the size of your farLog table, if there are millions of rows it might be time to truncate some of them.


#3

Hi Justin,
Nothing in the coapi.log and the log table only had a few thousand lines. I updated to FC7.0.8 with the same result.
Therefore, I just created an new dmHTML item under the home nav, published it and then deleted the older one. Now everything works like a charm. I had a good snoop around on the database and could see anything out of the ordinary.
I’ll keep an eye out if it happens again but it seems suspicious that it was in both cases the home page.


#4

Yeah it seems to suggest a problem with the object itself. If you have a backup of the DB with that object in it, it may still be worth investigating to see if we can find out what was causing it :smile:


#5

I’ve kept a copy of the DB. I’ve had a look around and can’t see anything ominous. I guess the thing to do would be to see if the issue still occurs running on CF. Another day perhaps. Let me know if you want and squiz.


#6

FYI,
Just had this exact same issue occur (timeout on approve) on a different site on a random page in the structure. FC 7.2.9 Lucee 5.2.4.37
Time out occurred at coapiUtilities.cfc (line: 176) no other info in the logs. I ended up deleting that dmHTML object and creating a new one.
If this happens again in the next 3 years I’ll spend a bit more time debugging it!
Phil