[closed] Paradigm Shifts are like climbing mountains with a blindfold

First, thank you for the localhost podcast stuff. We’re listening to it and trying to get going with Docker and Lucee. I think in the long run, we’ll try to follow some of the patterns you’ve laid down.

In the meantime, we’re taking a baby step with trying to get FarCry 7.2.8 running on a Windows Virtual Machine in Azure running behind Lucee 5.1.1.65 and IIS 10. This is somewhat similar to what we usually run: Adobe ColdFusion 11, IIS 8, and FC 7.2.8.

Here is where we seem to have a disconnect.

Typically, we set up the following VirtualHosts in IIS 8. /CFIDE, /farcry, /Jakarta, /webtop
The IIS Site is configured to run out of DRIVE:\inetpub\wwwroot\farcry\core\projects\projectname\www
Basically, everything that has to do with the site, whether it’s a file within the public webtree or a FC file, it’s underneath the project/www subdirs.

On the virtual machine we’re using, we have our Default Website that is running at C:\inetpub\wwwroot. The FarCry directory is located at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\farcry. We’ve done an install with a project name and we can see the project files at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\farcry\projects\projectname. We’ve added a new site (localhost2) in IIS and pointed it to the www subdirectory of that project (the same way we normally do). We’ve added IIS Virtual Directories (as we normally do, minus CFIDE and Jakarta). We also adding mappings in Lucee Server and Web contexts to match those VirtualDirectories.

PROBLEM: If we try to visit the localhost2 site, we can’t seem to access the webtop. I’ve been trying to do my homework and saw this page: Optimise Lucee Resource Mapping for /farcry but the path that ends up showing up under that is C:\inetpub\wwwroot\farcry\core\projects\projectname\www\farcry.

So, here’s an interesting wrinkle. If we go to the default website and access the webstop, adding a dmFile goes into the securefiles directory under projectname, but if we add an image via the webtop, it goes into the image sub-directory of the C:\inetpub\wwwroot.

I appreciate any guidance you guys can give me here. I can almost hear you guys saying “Azure? IIS? He should be on AWS, Docker, NGinx”… and I’m working torwards it. At least we’re trying to use Lucee this time!

1 Like

You’ll need to point your /farcry mapping in Lucee to your farcry directory which is C:\inetpub\wwwroot\farcry.

The {web-root-directory}/farcry path used in that article was probably the basis for some Docker + nginx installs that we have but it’s not a standard way of doing the mapping, because in that scenario we actually map / as well… It can get a bit confusing :slight_smile:

Hopefully the above fixes your issue though!

Man, I thought that we had done just that, but now that I looked back over it, I readjusted it so that that Server context has the /farcry mapping and the web context has the /webtop instance. It’s now working just like you said it would.

Glad this turned out to be an easy one for you guys. Quick question though (because now I’m trying to think through how I got so off course); would restarting Lucee either in the Server Admin or from the Windows Services have some kind of impact that could throw things off?

The most important step is to treat server like cattle :cow2: rather than pets :dog2:

Having the ability to discard and rebuild a deployment environment at will is extremely liberating and suddenly makes the aspiration of continuous deployment a reality.

PS. Daemon offers consulting, set up and mentoring on devops pipelines – if you wanted to take the bold step of moving to a Docker :whale: based pipeline (running in Azure, AWS or anywhere else) most teams only need the will, guidance and a few weeks of concerted effort.

PPS. If you are running on the latest FarCry Core and have few external dependencies you are most of the way there already