Webtop Display Issues

I’m new to the whole Farcry CMS thing and was looking to test it for use by our NFP organisation. I have followed the instructions as per the doco for ver. 7 Installing onto MSSQL 2008, and IIS 7 with Coldfusion 10.

Install is successful and front end looks fine, but the webtop appears to be missing something, looks like the screenshot here

There might be a few things to check;

1. If you scroll to the bottom of the broken page, is there any kind of dump output that might contain an error message or a stack trace?

2. If you open the Web Inspector (in Chrome) or Firebug (in Firefox) by pressing F12, then go to the Net/Network tab and refresh the page, can you see any errors for any of the network requests? They’ll either be highlighted in red, or have non-200 status codes (e.g. 403, 403, 500).

3. What URL are you using to access the webtop? If you use /webtop (with a /webtop virtual directory mapped in IIS) then you will need to check your farcryConstructor.cfm file in your webroot and ensure that the following line of code matches the URL you are using:

<cfset THIS.webtopURL = "/webtop" />

Hope that helps :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Justin,

Had a check through those things;

1. No stack trace or error
  2. Web Inspector Network tab shows no error codes, although did notice on the style editor tab that only cfdump css styles are there (perhaps the css isn’t even loading in?)
  3. URL to webtop is set correctly.

Cheers,
Kernal

Looks like you might be missing all the style sheets and javascript. They get combined and minified into a cache here by default:
./projects/yourproject/www/cache

Do you see anything in this folder?

Your Adobe ColdFusion (ACF) server will need write permissions on this folder (and the ./www/images and ./www/files folders for that matter).

It should look something like:

Thanks Modius,
sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I scrubbed my initial install to make sure I have done everything right.

the ACF has write permissions to the projects folder.

Within the projects folder there is no www folder and therefore no other folders. In a higher level above the Project folder there is a cache folder which contains a bunch of .CSS and a .JS file.

Thanks.
Kernal

The cache folder will be in the webroot, so that sounds fine for a simple webroot install :slight_smile:

Perhaps you can take a screenshot of the Network tab in the Chrome Web Inspector, and filter the network requests for “Stylesheets”, like this:

If you press Ctrl+F5 they should show up with status codes of 200 (or 304 if they were loaded from the browser cache).

Also, can you confirm that you have set up a virtual directory in IIS for /webtop? It should map to /farcry/core/webtop.

cheers,
Justin

Hey Justin,

Chrome web inspector shows nothing in the list for Stylesheets. I get only the farcry-dashboard-logo, farcry.png, & index.cfm

Yes I do have the /webtop virtual directory…

cheers,

Can you show me a screenshot of the View Source output for the webtop? i.e.

There should be CSS files referenced in the <head>. If there’s no CSS files linked in the <head> then perhaps there is another problem to follow up… We’d start with the exception.log or any other log files that have recently been written to in your ColdFusion logs directory…

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html dir="ltr" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">
<title>[fandango] fandango - FarCry Webtop</title>

</head>
<body id="sec-dashboard" class="webtop">

<div class="navbar navbar-fixed-top farcry-header">

Justin,
Above is the top section of code from the webtop once logged in as a valid user. as you can see no reference to CSS.

cheers,
Kernal

Can you check the ColdFusion log files for errors? There must be an error which is causing the CSS to not be outputted...

I don't think I've seen this happen for the webtop before, so any recent error log entries would help.

Justin,

Checked the logs and couldn’t find anything significant there. I enabled robust debugging and had a look through there and noticed that there is now an exception being reported;

10:27:18.018 - java.io.IOException - in C:/cfwebroot/farcry.ntchristianschools.com.au/farcry/core/packages/farcry/combine/combine.cfc : line 318
Stream closed

I really appreciate your assistance with this. I would love to get this operational as it looks like a fantastic product!

Thanks again!
Kernal

Ahhh, that helps. It’s related to this ticket where the Java library we use for JS/CSS minification is failing due to a CF setting:
https://farcry.jira.com/browse/FC-2654

I’m not sure if it’s a CF bug, but it seems that to use Java objects you need to uncheck the “Disable access to internal ColdFusion Java components” option in the CF Administrator. That’s really the only option for now as the alternative is to replace or remove minification from the framework completely.

Give that a try, let us know how you go :slight_smile:

w00t!!!

seems to be working now… now getting some 404 errors for some css files, which I have located and copied to the required locations, which seems to have resolved those issues as well.

Will have a play…

Thanks heaps for working through this with me.

cheers,
Kernal

1 Like