Chelsea install root problem

Hey there,
Well, I’d be up the creek without you guys…

The Chelsea bootstrap looks great - exactly what I wanted.

My problem is that is doing a project install a directory all over the root (css, js, folders, etc.). I want it to install in a project folder off the root, but it is writing what would be the contents of that folder to the webroot.

Before the install I have Project Folder Name:  cecilco

• which is what I want

This is not what I want:

Webroot Install

During installation the contents of the project “www” folder will be moved into:
C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients

I want:
C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/cecilco

I created the folder post install and moved all the files and directories into it, then update farcryConstructor.cfm but no dice :frowning:

What can I do it to fix the paths, or, better yet, get the install to create and write to a cecilco folder.

THANKS!

1 Like

I guess you all have jobs and are busy, too.

I’m going to tell you my scenario. I have farcry installed on a server to which I have admin access.

I want to create multiple sites via farcry, and there are existing non-farcry sites on the server already.

If I want to create sites cats.com, dogs.com and elephants.com, I’d like those sites to run in their own folders off the root:

C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/cats
C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/dogs
C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/elephants

I also want to use Chelsea because it is exactly what I wanted. But it installs its dependencies all over the Clients root, which, not only do I not want, but would be a game-ending conflict the second I create another site.

I wasn’t at work / available today so I had no time to reply earlier.

The default install where no mappings are required is known as a “webroot”
install and it should do exactly what you’re after. Say you wanted to
install the “tigers” app;

1. Create C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/tigers, and set this up as your
    webroot in your web server
  2. Extract the FarCry Community Release into this folder. You should now
    see the “farcry” folder inside your webroot, so this folder should
    exist: C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/tigers/farcry
    (and inside it will be core, plugins, skeletons)
  3. Run the installer with the usual steps described in the instructions

As far as I know files shouldn’t ever end up outside the webroot. Perhaps
you could check to see if you accidentally set the webroot to point to
Create C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients or perhaps have a /farcry mapping that
you need to remove? I’m not sure what else could cause that, it does seem
very strange :S

cheers,
Justin

So FarCry would need to be installed in each web site I want to create?

If so, on one hand it’s a shame you can’t use it to admin multiple sites. On the other hand I feel like an idiot.

Also, nice extension of the animal-themed sites, although you did skip several letters in the alphabet.

We’ve moved away from the notion of running lots of separate sites within the one database. It adds undue complexity for several features within the framework. The multi-site plugin was a popular solution back in the days of FarCry 4.x. However, our experience has been that for anyone who wants a tailored solution, sharing a common database with many other disparate sites can be limiting.

You can still have dedicated app solutions in FarCry that run multiple sites within a specific database but these tend to be more service oriented solutions rather than free-form content sites. For example, BroadcastMed runs a 50+ sites from a single application but they are managing a specific controlled solution for their many clients; video portals for medical service providers.

If you’re happy for a separate database and URL per website then there are all sorts of options for sharing code. There is no reason why you can’t have 26 websites all sharing the same ./core and ./plugins/* code bases. For example, Yaffa Publishing run 25+ magazine sites, all with their own database and project but they share the same core and selections of plugin libraries depending on the site’s needs.

It depends how you want to structure and manage your deployments. We also support an “advanced” install which requires a “/farcry” alias/virtual directory/mapping, and you can use this to deploy your projects against one copy of FarCry Core (including your plugins) if you like, or you can use it to keep the framework outside of the webroot (even if you have individual copies of Core with each project).

The only configuration difference is where you point the webroot of the site in your webserver, and the additional /farcry alias/virtual directory (for CF) or mapping (for Railo)

For a “shared” Core, the steps would be something like:

1. Extract the Community release to C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients so that you see a “farcry” folder within the Client folder (i.e. you should see C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/farcry, and within it you should see core, plugins, skeletons).
  2. Inside the farcry folder, create a “projects” folder (C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/farcry/projects)
  3. Inside the projects folder, create a “tiger” folder, and inside that create a “www” folder. You should now have C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/farcry/projects/tiger/www – Set this as your webroot in your webserver.
    4a. For ColdFusion installations, add a “/farcry” alias (for Apache) or virtual directory (for IIS) to your webserver which points to C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/farcry
    4b. For Railo, go into the Railo Admin and add a “/farcry” Mapping which points to C:/inetpub/wwwroot/Clients/farcry (in either the Server context or Web context, up to you)
  4. Run the installer with the usual steps described in the instructions

However, we find that it’s easier to manage when all of your sites have their own copy of FarCry Core, because you can update them independently and not worry about a Core upgrade affecting a site that you may not have wanted to upgrade, etc.

The same concerns apply to sharing a database, which some other frameworks allow you to do. When you have many sites installed into a single database you need to be mindful that an upgrade may affect many sites all at once. Or similarly, when one site grows very large and you want to split it into a separate database or move it to a different host you may have some difficulty - perhaps some frameworks offer tools to do this, but I’m not sure. We generally find that this is more trouble than its worth (unless the application is specifically designed to work this way, like the BroadcastMed platform that Geoff mentions), so 9 times out of 10 we’d recommend keeping everything separate.

Long story short, I’d stick with the simple webroot installs for now :smile:

Ok. I was using FarCry in a more advanced way, accidentally. Over the weekend I followed the instructions above and created 2 websites with farcry in the webroot path of each site. Things are much better.

That said, the single image upload is not working for either site, but the bulk upload is, as is the file upload.

Also, after a fresh Chelsea Boots install I get a few errors.
On a few pages of the site I get this:

Element TYPENAME is undefined in STOBJTEMP.

In webtop admin, I get this error when going to the “Site” section.

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
There was a problem with that last request

Please push "back" on your browser or go back home
Error Overview

Instance:    coldfusion
Message:    Element dmNewsListing is undefined in a CFML structure referenced as part of an expression.
Browser:    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
DateTime:    {ts '2014-05-19 07:22:53'}
HTTPReferer:    
QueryString:    id=site
Bot:    not a bot
Error Details
Exception Type:    Expression
Tag Context:    

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\packages\coapi\coapiUtilities.cfc (line: 404)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\packages\lib\fapi.cfc (line: 91)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\packages\farcry\tree.cfc (line: 502)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\webskin\dmNavigation\webtopTreeChildRows.cfm (line: 132)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\webskin\dmNavigation\webtopTreeChildRows.cfm (line: 105)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\webskin\dmNavigation\webtopTreeChildRows.cfm (line: 1)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\packages\fourq\fourq.cfc (line: 446)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\packages\fourq\fourq.cfc (line: 338)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\tags\webskin\view.cfm (line: 138)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\tags\webskin\view.cfm (line: 74)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\tags\webskin\view.cfm (line: 11)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\tags\webskin\view.cfm (line: 9)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\tags\webskin\view.cfm (line: 1)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\webskin\dmNavigation\webtopBody.cfm (line: 186)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\packages\fourq\fourq.cfc (line: 446)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\packages\fourq\fourq.cfc (line: 338)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\tags\webskin\view.cfm (line: 138)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\webskin\types\webtopPageStandard.cfm (line: 16)
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Clients\cecilco\farcry\core\webtop\index.cfm (line: 115)

I can’t replicate what your getting with a vanilla install on my own environments (Ubuntu or OSX).

The app appears to be complaining because its trying to reference the a News Listing plugin but the component is missing. At a guess it looks like you are missing the FarCry CMS Plugin.

You might try double checking you have the plugin in place, and then running http://localhost/?updateall=yourprojectkey to deploy any missing parts of the COAPI.

If have the time, it would be helpful to get a blow by blow description of how you are trying to install so we can work out why your environment is being so troublesome.

Hey, thanks.

This was a new install. I followed the instructions given to me in a previous post.

Created site in IIS, resolved domain to it. Put Farcry in webroot. That worked out fine.

As it turns out, the problem was that an updated core alone did not do the job. But since I now have one farcry per website, I updated the entire farcry package without fear of messing up the other site.

That did the trick.

Everything is working smoothly, EXCEPT a single image upload. Bul;k image and single file uploads work, but single image upload hangs at “processing.”

Tobin, are you able to contact me privately (either on the forum or via my gmail address which I think you already have) with details for me to log in to your webtop to try to debug it further? We’re really at a loss as to why you can’t simply upload an image, we’ve never seen it fail like this on countless different CFML engine / OS combinations so I’d really like to get to the root cause in case it helps someone in the future.

I want to thank everybody for their help once again.