Multiple Database users

Has anyone set up Farcry to work with two DB user accounts, one for Webtop/fourQ and the other for web site.

So the Webtop DB user account would have all the DB create type access, and the web site just CRUD

We did recently start on supporting separate read and write datasources. We
hadn’t thought about coapi datasource.

It may not be possible to set up a separate “webtop” datasource, as
datasource details are stored in the application scope and not per request.

Blair

But I imagine it may be possible to limit all public facing views to the read-only datasource.

Our reasons for providing a read/write split is for performance in large installations. @ajmercer what are you after the separation for?

DB Admin security concerns; so just asking the question

I am not convienced it will make anything any more secure. If a hacker can get your ‘CRUD’ account, then they are just as likely be able to get the ‘fourQ’ login.

I think keeping the Web App Server behind the firewall would be enough.
But thought I would ask the question to see people that use hosted services do.

If you configure the app to use a database user which only has permission to that particular database then you’ve already mitigated the risk to the rest of the databases on your server.

Beyond that, you could have an internal facing version of the app for webtop access (e.g. admin.myappdomain.com) which runs using a DSN with a database user with higher privileges, and then in your public facing app (e.g. www.myappdomain.com) you could run using a DSN with a database user with restrictive privileges.

2 Likes

something just point out to me, if you detect a exploitation, you can quickly disable the ‘admin’ account, and leave the ‘public’ account running so the web site can stay online.

I am wondering if this would be sufficient / workable:
in farcry\core\packages\fourq do a search and replace
application.dsn -> application.dsnFOURQ

and of course define in farcryConstructor.cfm
the default could be
THIS.dsnFOURQ= THIS.dsn

From 7.2 onwards, in the farcryConstructor you can set this.dsn_read and this.dsn_write and set up each DSN to use different database users that have different permissions.

Also as I mentioned above, if you have a public facing copy of the site you can configure the users in the database to only have access to your FarCry app DB and to not have permissions to make changes to the schema, etc to mitigate the surface area of any attacks.

Then you can set up an internal copy of your app which you use to administer it and that DSN can be configured with a DB user who does have elevated permissions so that you can do the things you need to do.

This is all possible now, no code changes required :wink: