[closed] Tag handler cookie issue

Hello everybody,

This morning we had a web server outage following a routine reset of web services, when I looked through the error messages I found the following:

ERROR OVERVIEW
Instance             : cfusion
Message              : The tag handler cookie does not have a setter for the attribute '' specified in the Tag Library Descriptor.
DateTime             : {ts '2016-09-06 04:01:47'}

ERROR DETAILS
Exception Type       : Template
Tag Context         :     - G:\WebApps\LBCC\core\packages\lib\device.cfc (line: 167)
               - G:\WebApps\folder\core\packages\lib\device.cfc (line: 113)
               - G:\WebApps\folder\core\packages\lib\device.cfc (line: 231)
               - G:\WebApps\folder\core\tags\navajo\display.cfm (line: 73)
               - G:\WebApps\folder\core\tags\navajo\display.cfm (line: 1)
               * G:\WebApps\folder\Projects\Site\www\index.cfm (line: 22)

I looked through error messages and server logs preceding these and didn’t see any obvious causes. After assuming there might be an issue with cookies I checked the server logs and found 500 errors on requests that had cookies as well.

I did try googling for ‘tag handler cookie’ and ‘Tag Library Descriptor’ but came up empty. I imagine if I knew what these two were some light might be shed on what happened here. Any documentation or other relevant information to this error would help out. I did see that under device.cfc on line 167 that it is a cfcookie tag that is throwing the error, for easy reference I’ve included it here:

<cffunction name="setDeviceType" access="public" output="false" hint="Sets the device type string" bDocument="true">
	<cfargument name="deviceType" type="string" required="true">

<cfset var stAttributes = structNew()>
	<cfset stAttributes.httpOnly = false>

<cfcookie name="FARCRYDEVICETYPE" value="#arguments.deviceType#" attributeCollection="#stAttributes#">

</cffunction>

Also for reference we are currently running Farcry 7.0.5 on Coldfusion 9

Thanks

Hi,

Was this some type of temporary error that just happened to show up in the logs? Or is it an error that is causing you down time?

It’s fairly obscure, it almost looks like something that might happen during the service shutting down… Can you check the time in your logs? Was it during a service shut down or a start up, or some other time?

cheers,
Justin

This error pops up after a routine morning restart of our web services. It has happened a couple of times already causing downtime.

So yes, this is tied to the system shutting down and starting back up. I’m wondering if this is preventable or just something we need to keep an eye out for.

The same error did show up once during this mornings restart, so perhaps something isn’t initializing properly. Though I don’t know what to look for to find the culprit. By the way, it takes another re-start to recover when this error continues and causes downtime.

Thanks.

Hmmm, it sounds like an issue with the CF installation… As a general note, the last hotfix / security release for CF9 was back in 2013, so I would be wanting to upgrade from CF9 pretty soon (CF10, CF11 and CF2016 have all been released since then).

I don’t think this is an issue with the code or something that we can fix in Core.

Or even cross-grading to Lucee 5.

We are beginning to plan a change to Lucee by the end of this year. I guess we’ll keep fingers crossed that this issue resolves at that point.

Thanks for the input.

Are you able to get a dump of CGI for this request?

My feeling is the request is not coming from a browser.

Take a look at user agent.

#WildGuess